Hello friends, in this article, I am going to share some definitions of some internet terms which will help us get acquainted with the internet. We may know some of them, but I just want to throw more lights on them and probably define some of them that you might have not know.
1. Blog: A blog is an online writer’s column where people publish articles, opinions, etc about different things and different areas of life like technology, engineering, sports, politics, etc. It is a short form of web log.
2. Bytes and bits: A bit is the smallest unit of information storable in a computer or peripheral device, expressed as 0 or 1. A byte on the other hand, is a group of eight bits of computer information. Higher measurements for bytes include:
i. 1 kilobyte=1024 bytes
ii. 1 megabyte=1024 kilobytes
iii. 1 gigabyte=1024 megabytes
iv. 1 terabyte=1024 gigabytes
v. 1 petabyte=1024 terabytes.
3. Browser: A browser is an application that allows you view web pages and other online contents from your computer, mobile phones, Smartphone or any device that can connect to the internet.
4. Chat: to take part in a discussion with someone or a group of people on the internet.
5. Cookie: Cookies are information created by web servers, stored on your computer which contains information about all internet documents and URL you have visited.
6. Domain: A domain is a part of the internet that belongs to a person or an organization which includes website addresses, email addresses, and addresses for other internet protocols such as FTP, etc.
7. Firewall: This is an application or device that prevents people from getting access to a computer through its ports without permission while the computer is connected to the internet.
8. FTP: This is an abbreviation for “File Transfer Protocol” which is built into some softwares for downloading and uploading data from and to the internet.
9. HTML: HTML means “Hypertext markup language”. This is a web programming language which is used for writing texts so that they can be seen on the internet. It is made up of tags; some of which must have an opening style and a closing style. E.g. a table tag has<table> as the opening tag and </table> as the closing tag. <hr/>, a horizontal line creation tag, is an example of a tag that has no opening or closing style.
1. HTTP & HTTPS: HTTP stands for “hypertext transfer protocol” which is a set of instructions made by a computer program that allows your computer connect to an internet document. HTTP on the other hand, stands for”hypertext transfer protocol secured” which provides a special layer of encryption that helps to hide personal details of a person while surfing the internet.
1. Internet: The internet is an interconnection of computer networks. It is a large system of connected computers around the world and allows people share information.
1. IP address: IP stands for “internet protocol”. An IP address is a four-part or eight-part electronic address assigned to each computer, cell phone and other devices that can connect to the internet for tracking purposes. E.g. 167.5.657.33.
1. PORTAL: Portals are pages on the internet that allow people get useful information such as news, weather, emails, online shopping services, etc.
1. URL: URL is an abbreviation for “universal resource locator”. It is the web address of a file on the internet and is entered on the address bar of browsers. E.g. http:researchersportal.org, etc. it consists of protocol, the computer on which the file is located, its name and its location on that computer.
1. Website: This is a collection of web pages that belong to a particular person or an organization.
1. Webinar: Implies “web seminar” which is an occasion in which a group of persons go online at the same time to discuss topics and other issues. It is a kind of web conferencing.