The creation of sophisticated devices with screen displays like Smartphones, computers, etc has indeed helped the human race in so many ways. Some of us depend solely on these devices and oftentimes spend about eighteen hours on them every day. Some of us are so fond of our Smartphone that we are ever busy with them. These screens emit ionizing and non-ionizing radiations like x-rays, visible light, ultraviolet rays, infrared, radio waves, etc. Although these radiations are emitted in low quantities, they cause some discomfort and problems to the human eye. Many computer operators experience various eye and vision related symptoms and discomfort.
This article is meant to examine the effects of these radiations on the human eye and then propose some ways to protect our eyes from these rays.
Some of the effects of digital displays
1. Eye itching: The radiations from the screen of devices, build up electrostatic charge in the vicinity of the screen. These charges attract dust particles and dirt to the screen, and this causes eye itching.
2.Dry eyes: Computer and Smartphone screens are by default placed closer to the eyes by many people. This reduces the blink rate of the eye and so, tears dry up faster causing our eyes to be dry.
3. Headache: Continuous straining of the eye causes head ache because our eye tries to focus on the displays that are so close to it.
4. It increases our eye’s light sensitivity.
5.It causes blurred vision when stared at for so long and also causes neck pins.
Ways to protect our eyes from such effects
1. Eye itching can be prevented by constantly cleaning the screen as prescribed by the manufacturers of your device. This will also aid screen visibility.
2. Avoid operating your computer or Smartphone facing or backing unshaded windows because the difference between the brightness of your computer or Smartphone with respect to that of the window causes discomfort to the eye and brain. Windows should be shaded or located by the sides of the computer.Also, make sure a bright light is not above
3.Remember to always blink your eyes to prevent dry eyes and irritation. As has been said earlier, continuous staring at a screen reduces blinking rate. Reduced blinking rate cause tears to evaporate more quickly than when you blink frequently.
4.Adjust your screen brightness. Also, while reading e-books on any device, it is advised to read black characters on gray background because, their color combination does not cause discomfort to the eye.
5. Positioning the device: It is advised to place our computer or Smartphone at a distance of 20 to 28 inches which is the distance printed works are to be placed.
6.Take regular breaks: It is advised that you avoid looking at your computer and Smartphone screen all the time. Give yourself at least a 20 minutes break during which you try to gaze at a distant object.
7.Visit an oculist regularly to check your eye condition and also, wear tinted glasses or prescribed lenses.
8. Screen guards can also be used on our computer and Smartphone screens to reduce the brightness and the rate at which these radiations reach our eyes.
I hope these tips help. Remember, our eyes are the windows with which we view the world around us, take good care of it religiously….. your comments are very important to us, share with your friends to help save theirs……