Over the weekend, so many political parties in Nigeria conducted their primary elections for the various political positions that will be contested for come 2019. This was due to the deadline of 7th
October given by the independent national electoral commission (INEC).
There are so many speculations about the outcome of the primaries but after all, said and done, results were released and Nigerians are getting ready for the elections. On this article, we would be looking at the list of presidential aspirants for the different political parties that presented candidates, with their portfolio and all you need to know about them.
List of presidential aspirants for the 2019 presidential elections in Nigeria
Muhammadu Buhari – All Progressives Congress (APC):
Buhari, as we all know, is the current president of Nigeria and a one-time Military head of state (1983-1985). He hails from Daura, Katsina state and has held numerous positions in government. He was born in 1942 and has been known with his fight against corruption in Nigeria.
He has achieved the following:
- – 7th Head of State of Nigeria
- – 15th president of Nigeria
- – Federal Minister of Petroleum Resources
- – Federal Commissioner of Petroleum and Natural Resources
- – A one-time governor of the North Eastern State
He is non-arguably the most experienced contestant for the position judging from the numerous political positions he has occupied.
Alhaji Atiku Abubakar – People’s Democratic Party (PDP): Atiku, born on November 25, 1946, is a man known for his building bridges of national unity across regional and religious lines in Nigeria.
He has also occupied some political positions in the past and has numerous achievements which include:
- – Law diploma at Ahmadu Bello University
- – Worked at the Nigeria Customs Service
- – 11th Vice President of Nigeria, (1999 to 2007)
- – A well-known businessman who has ventured into real estate, agriculture, trading, etc.
- – Established the American University of Nigeria (AUN) in Adamawa State
- – Given titles of the Turaki and Waziri of Adamawa
Donald Duke – Social Democratic Party (SDP): born on the 30th September 1961 in Calabar, Duke is a great man and was once the Governor of Cross River State from 1999 to 2007.
Among his achievements include:
- – Cross River State governor
- – LLB degree from Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- – B.L from Nigerian law school, Lagos
- – L.L.M. in Business Law and Admiralty from University of Pennsylvania
- – Created the idea of the Obudu Ranch International Mountain Race.
- – Created the Calabar Carnival which started in 2004
- – Initiated the Tinapa Resort Project
Omoyele Sowere – African Action Congress (AAC): Sowere is a known media mogul, Nigerian human rights activist and the founder of a Nigerian online news channel the Sahara Reporters.
He is well-known for the proposition that once he wins the presidency, Nigeria will begin the exportation of weed to countries where they are needed for medical purposes.
The 48 years old man has achieved a lot, some of which include:
- – Geography and Regional Planning at the University of Lagos.
- – Master’s degree in Public Administration from Columbia University
- He is a lecturer of Modern African History at the City University of New York and Post-Colonial African History at the school of arts, New York.
- – Human right activist
- – He is the founder of the African Action Congress (ACC)
Fela Durotoye – Alliance for New Nigeria (ANN): Fela Durotoye is a well-known name when it comes to public and motivational speaking in Nigeria. He is a 47-year-old man from the southwestern part of Nigeria and has been the key advocate of building a new Nigeria since 2014.
His achievements include but not limited to:
- – Business strategist, motivational speaker, and nation builder
- – BSc. Computer Science and Economics
- – MBA. The Management of Change in Complex Organisations. OAU, Ile-Ife
- – Kennedy school of government: Harvard University
- – High impact leadership for a better society: Yale University, USA.
- – Has received an Honorary award from the African Young Entrepreneur’s network
- – Has mentored over 13,000 leaders in business, enterprise, education, religion, and professional service.
Obiageli Ezekwesili – Allied Congress Party of Nigeria (ACPN): born on April 28, 1963, Obiageli Ezekwesili hails from Anambra State and has been known for her activism- the most recent being that of the BringBackOurGirls campaign.
Her achievements include:
- – Master’s degree in International Law and Diplomacy from the University of Lagos.
- – Master of Public Administration degree from the Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University
- – A trained Chartered accountant from Deloitte and Touche Firm
- – Minister of Solid Minerals (2005)
- – Minister of Education (2006)
- – President for the African Region by the World Bank
- – Co-founder of Transparency International in Berlin Germany
Kingsley Moghalu – Young Progressive Party (YPP):
Kingsley Moghalu is a 55-year-old Igbo man who served as the deputy governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria from 2009 to 2014. He is a professor of Practice in International Business and Public Policy at Tufts University, attended the University of Nigeria Nsukka and LSE (Ph.D.).
He is the current president of the Institute of Governance and Economic Transformation and a former United Nations official. He has received the prestigious honor as the officer of the Order of the Niger (OON) and is a fellow of the Chartered Institute of Bankers (FCIB) of Nigeria amongst other numerous awards.
Do you think Kingsley can be the next president of Nigeria? Let us know in the comment section below.
Mrs. Eunice Atuejide – National Interest Party (NIP): Mrs. Eunice the founder of the National Interest Party is also among the contestants for the 2019 Presidential elections. She is an interesting personality owing to her numerous qualifications and her age.
She is just 39 and has achieved the following academic and societal feet:
- – Legal practitioner
- – LLB, LPC, LLM, BPP University, London, United Kingdom
- – BL, Nigerian Law School
- – MSc. Business administration
- – Studied at the University of Siegen, Germany
- – Speaks the three major languages in Nigeria (Igbo, Hausa, Yoruba), French and German languages. She has also traveled to over 73 countries of the world.
- – Owner of EB Consults. Ltd: a consultancy company operating out of the UK and Nigeria.
Ahmed Buhari – Sustainable National Party (SNP)
Alistair Soyode – Yes Electorates Solidarity (YES)
Edozie Madu – Independent Democrats (ID)
Hamza Al-Mustapha – People’s Party of Nigeria (PPN)
Obadiah Mailafia – African Democratic Congress (ADC)
Prof. Peter Nwangwu – We the People of Nigeria (WTPN)
Olusegun Mimiko – Zenith Labour Party (ZLP)
Prince Eniola Ojajuni – Alliance for Democracy (AD)
Tope Kolade Fasua – Abundance Nigeria Renewal Party (ANRP)
Dr. Adesina Fagbenro-Byron – Kowa Party (KP)
Gbenga Olawepo-Hashim – Alliance for People’s Trust (APT)
Moses Shipi – All Blending Party (ABP)
Alhaji Ibrahim Usman – National Rescue Movement (NRM)
019 presidential aspirants in nigeria
nigeria presidential election 2019 candidates
pdp presidential aspirant 2019
nigerian presidential candidates 2019
list of presidential candidate for 2019 election
2019 presidential candidate
pdp presidential candidate for 2019 election
2019 pdp presidential candidate