The Senior Fishery Officer reports to the Senior Fishery Officer, Branch Head, NFIP.
Fisheries resources economics and tenure and the underlying fundamentals of effective and efficient natural resource management and sustainable production to ensure sustainable, social and economic development.
Leadership and technical policy expertise for the planning, development and implementation of Divisional Programmes of work, projects, products, services in accordance with FAO Strategic Objectives.
- Plans, manages, or leads highly specialized or multi-disciplinary teams, leads, coordinates, and/or participates on Organization-wide, cross-divisional committees, project teams, and working groups, and/or provides technical leadership/secretariat services on technical networks and/or international technical policy and standard setting bodies.
- Analyzes global and country specific requirements and relevant technical issues to provide critical input into the FAO Strategic Objectives, Programme of Work, work plans and the supporting budgets and/or resourcing strategies.
- Implements and monitors programmes of work involving the development of the approach, evidence based strategies, and related tools, methodologies and the supporting system/database, monitoring and reporting frameworks.
- Conducts, designs and oversees research and analysis activities to support the development of technical standards, international instruments, innovation, technical reports, publications and/or on-going programme development as well as the provision of technical and/or policy advisory services.
- Provides technical and policy advice to Member countries and technical support to decentralized offices in the development and implementation of their programmes.
- Leads and/or collaborates in, provides technical backstopping to and ensures the quality / effectiveness of capacity development and knowledge sharing activities within member countries such as policy support, organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning, on-line tools.
- Represents the Organization at international meetings and conferences, identifies and implements strategic partnerships, advocates best practices and increased policy dialogue and develops and negotiates effective working relationships/consensus and agreements with international and national stakeholders.
- Leads and/or participates in resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate strategy.
- Provides technical and policy advice to selected countries in developing regions for the development and implementation of work related to sustainable fisheries production and food policy reform options;
- Leads the development of technical products focusing on governance, tenure, access and user rights as a foundation for economically, socially, and biologically sustainable natural resource production;
- Leads economic analyses including those of different management systems and approaches, economic valuations of fisheries contributions and services, and related fisheries policy and management matters to promote the uptake of technical analyses in policy processes and dialogues, including to the Committee on Fisheries COFI) and related sub-committees;
- Maintains close collaboration with other FAO units, FAO Representations as well as relevant national and international institutions;
- Coordinates partnerships with non-government stakeholders, in particular civil society organizations, donors, fishery organizations including those of the private sector, around specific policy issues.
- Advanced university degree in policy and natural resource economics or marine affairs with a specialization in tenure and resource management and/or governance, or other fields related to applied natural resource policy-making, management and conservation
- Ten years of relevant experience in in policy-making and management of fisheries or related natural resources, conservation and economics, with experience working with and across diverse stakeholder groups
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish)
- Results Focus
- Leading, Engaging and Empowering
- Partnering and Advocating
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Strategic Thinking
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is essential
- Extent and relevance of experience or knowledge of policy issues of national and international natural resource tenure policy and management and the role of international organizations in connection with them
- Extent and relevance of experience in planning and implementation of programmes related to fisheries or natural resource management in development organizations
- Demonstrated results-based management capabilities with an ability to manage programmes, budgets and human resources efficiently under shifting priorities
- Extent and relevance of experience in different countries and regions, especially in developing countries and countries in transition
- Demonstrated experience in capacity development and training-related activities
- Demonstrated capacity to coordinate country-level activities in developing countries involving several partner institutions
- Demonstrated ability to mobilize and effectively manage financial resources and related contributions
- Extent and relevance of experience in organizing and running high-level international meetings, seminars and training courses